Yes! My planning for October is done! Am I ever excited for this month! First of all… I love fall. It’s my favourite season. From pumpkin everything to Thanksgiving… it’s the best! As you may already be aware, we are Canadian, so we celebrate our Thanksgiving in October, feel free to shuffle activities around if you’re not Canadian and hold onto the Thanksgiving activities for the week prior to when you celebrate!
Scheduling learning activities for my daughter is so much fun! I know I’ve said this before, but I love planning curriculum! Within this post, you’ll find our focal points for the month of October. You will also find links to any of activities that I have found online. Plus, if you sign up for Deliberate Homeschooling’s newsletter, you can download a printable calendar of all these activities PLUS you’ll be notified when new calendars are ready!
Are you excited yet?! I know I am! Here’s what’s planned for October!
Four weeks of fun, educational activities! Get your #FREE October #homeschool calendar! Click To Tweet
THEME FOR THE MONTH: Fall, Thankfulness
INVESTIGATE: Pumpkins, Fire Safety
NUMBERS: 3, 4
LETTERS: C, D
CELEBRATIONS: Thanksgiving, Halloween
- Watch and do the “C” video on Starfall (need a computer with flash and a mouse for the free version)
- Introduce our Thankful Pumpkin – all week, write what we’re thankful for on the pumpkin
- Decorate for Thanksgiving
- Read: Cranberry Thanksgiving
- Make orange playdough together
- Provide “C” playdough placemat and make a “C” shape (download is in the Subscriber Library)
- Read: Thankful
- Work on Thanksgiving cards for family & friends
- Read: There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Turkey
- Practice writing the number three
- Play the Stuff the Turkey game (instructions for how to make and play are here)
- Read: The Pumpkin Book
- Go to the grocery store to buy ingredients for pumpkin tarts
- Make pumpkin tarts
- Read: Give Thanks to the Lord
- Exchange Thanksgiving cards
- Read: Firefighters A to Z
- Work together to draw a map of our home (make sure to include all of the windows and doors)
- Watch Firefighter Dan’s Safety Tips: What’s Hot!
- Test our smoke alarms
- Look at our house map from yesterday and plan our fire escape routes
- Watch Firefighter Dan’s Safety Tips: Matches
- Read: Firefighters! Speeding! Spraying! Saving!
- Download: Sparky’s Home Safety Checklist (and complete the checklist together)
- Watch Firefighter Dan’s Safety Tips: Lighters
- Download and explore the FREE story app: Sparky’s Birthday Surprise
- Practice our fire evacuation routes
- Write the letter “C” and add it to our alphabet book
- Watch and do “D” video on Starfall
- Provide “D” playdough placemat and make a “D” shape (download is in the Subscriber Library)
- Exploring fall colours with gourds (collect paint chips and gourds for this activity)
- Make fall tree luminaries
- Practice writing the number four
- Read: There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves
- Leaf hunt! Hide leaves around the room – try to find them all!
- Make: Pumpkin Suncatchers
- Play hide the pumpkin (hide a small pumpkin in the room and try to find it)
- Find the letter on the pumpkin activity
- Write the letter “D” and add it to our alphabet book
- Read: Patty’s Pumpkin Patch
- Sing: 10 Orange Pumpkins
- Visit a pumpkin patch to select our pumpkins (go to the store if weather is poor)
So there you have it! A full month of learning and fun for a preschool or kindergarten child! Feel free to use any or all of these activities in your homeschool plans for October. Also, if you want the downloadable calendar listing all of these activities, simply subscribe to my newsletter and it’s yours!
What plans do you have for October? Do you like pumpkins as much as us?!